A foot press in the simulator is a multi-joint exercise used in bodybuilding to train the leg muscles. The element is made in a special simulator, located at an angle of 45 degrees. To begin work it is necessary to lay down on a back of a design and to lift feet on a platform.
What muscles work?
During the training, mainly the buttocks and the front of the thigh (quadriceps) work, and the back surface of the thigh (biceps) also receives an indirect load. More detailed work of muscles is presented in the table:
|Muscle||Work in an element|
|Quadriceps||Straightens the leg in the knee|
|Buttocks||She takes her hip from her stomach|
|Biceps||Unbends the hip joint|
Plus the element is that during the training all these muscles work together. In order to place more emphasis on the quadriceps, the feet should be put closer to each other, the legs should be placed on the lower part of the platform, and the knees should not be bent or unbent. Biceps and buttocks work in pairs, to focus on them you need to put your feet in the upper part of the platform on the width of your shoulders apart. Slopes with a barbell can help you to pump leg muscles too.
Element execution technique
Before proceeding to the technique of performing the bench press with the feet in the simulator, it is necessary to take the correct position. For this:
- We install on the simulator on both sides the pancakes of the necessary scales.
- We are located in the simulator: the back and head are firmly pressed to the back, legs are placed on the platform on the width of the shoulders.
Important! The legs on the platform hold it. In no case can they be removed, otherwise after removing the platform from the stops, it will simply fall on the practitioner.
- We remove the platform from the stoppers. For this, we feed a little forward, and with our arms we unfold the holders.
Now directly technique:
Step 1. Controlled slowly lower the platform to an angle of ninety degrees in the knee joint. It is possible to lower and lower, but only on condition that the loin is tightly pressed to the back.
Step 2. With a powerful movement, unbending the legs, squeeze the platform upward. In doing so, do it not with socks, but with the whole foot – the heels should also be tightly pressed.
Important! It is necessary to constantly maintain tension in the quadriceps, and the legs at the top point should be slightly bent at the knees.
Repeat the required number of times.
What weight to take: where to start and how to increase?
Leg presses lying in the simulator for beginners should begin with a minimum load. For men, this will be 10-20 kg, for women 5-10 kg. With this weight, you need to do 10-15 repetitions for 2-3 approaches. In the future, the weight should be increased. For example, pressing your feet in a simulator for women to achieve the maximum result can reach a weight of more than a hundred kilograms. Thus it is necessary to increase the weight and reduce the number of repetitions. As a result, you can come from 45 repetitions for three sets with a weight of 10 kg to 15 repetitions with a weight of 100 kg.
Important note! To understand the technique of execution for the first time it is better to raise and lower an empty platform.
There are several variations of training related to the alternation of weights:
- Drop-sets. Here, you must perform a specified number of repetitions with a working weight. Then the meringue meringue should work further, but the weight should be reduced. Work in this way requires as many sets as the body will allow.
- Press with a full stop. This option is suitable only for experienced athletes, and you can do it only in the simulator, which has a limiter of the amplitude of motion. To begin with, with an average weight, do 20 repetitions – this will be a warm-up. Then we do 15 more repetitions, but with increased weight and 5 repetitions with a full stop technique. Those. at the lowest point you need to completely relax your legs for a few seconds. The next step is to add more weight and make 10 regular presses and 10 with a stop. And in conclusion, adding weight, squeeze out 5 regular and 15 with a stop.
Its nuances have when doing a bench press in the simulator and setting the legs: this affects the work of certain muscles. The following arrangement of legs in the simulator is possible:
- Wide setting of the legs (slightly wider than the shoulders). This option is more suitable for girls whose goal is slender legs and elastic buttocks, rather than inflated lower limbs. Having put our feet in this way and unfolding the socks to the sides, we include the buttocks, which lead the muscles and the inner surface of the thigh, into the work.
- A narrow setting of the legs (already shoulders). If your goal is the abducers and the outer quadriceps, then this is your option. The legs must be placed at the bottom of the platform, and the socks should be slightly pushed together.
- The average setting of the legs (on the width of the shoulders, socks “look” straight). It is a classic in which all the muscles involved work evenly.
Also, putting your feet in the upper part of the platform, we’ll load the ischium-popliteal muscles of the thigh and buttocks and get the so-called bench press in the buttock simulator.
It is also possible to separately work out each leg: for this, only the working limb is exposed in the simulator.
What else to pay attention to?
In want of training, you should also pay attention to the following points:
- Breathing: the breath on the lowering of the platform, the exhalation – on its rise.
- Body position: the whole body – from the head to the buttocks – should be firmly pressed against the back.
- The position of the heels: you need to push with your heels pressed tightly.
- Knees: There should be a slight fold of the knees while straightening the legs. Knees should always be parallel to each other.
- Hand position: Hands must firmly hold the handrails during the training.
Variations of bench press
There are several variations of bench press. The most common are: a classic bench press in the simulator, a horizontal press in the simulator and a press in the Smith simulator.
Classic bench in the simulator
Features and techniques for performing a classic bench press are detailed in the previous chapters.
Horizontal press in the simulator
A feature of the training is that it is performed half-sitting. This variation allows you to increase the muscle mass of the front of the thigh, to work the internal femoral and all this thanks to working with large weights without the risk of injury.
Training is suitable for athletes who have problems with the vertebral column or with knee joints. The technique of execution will be as follows:
- We choose the right weight and occupy a sitting position in the simulator. Knees form a right angle, the sight is directed forward. The back is tightly pressed to the back, hands are grasped by special handles.
- At the expense of the heels with an exhalation push the platform, moving it along the rails. At the end point, the knee cavity does not unbend.
- We return to the starting position.
- We execute the required number of times.
To achieve maximum effect, it is better to alternate blasting presses with slow ones.
Kneeling in the Smith simulator
This variation effectively works through the buttocks and the back of the thigh. You can perform an element with either two or one foot. Exercise is done by lying on a bench or floor.
The technique of the exercise will be as follows:
- We expose the bar in the simulator in height, which is defined as follows: lying you must rest with straight, slightly bent knees in the neck.
- We lay down on the floor or bench, tightly pressing the head, and we rest the feet in the bar. The legs are slightly wider than the shoulders.
- On inhalation slowly under control, we start lowering the neck to the highest possible level. The benchmark should be your chest.
- From the bottom position, we begin to squeeze the stalk back up, knees while leaving slightly bent.
Beginners are encouraged at first to enlist the support of a companion who will insure and turn the bar from the racks.
Than it is possible to replace?
Exercise can be replaced by such elements as:
- attacks with a barbell or dumbbells ;
- pull of Jefferson.
It is not recommended to perform the element for persons suffering from hyperextension of the knee. This can lead to serious injury. Also, do not risk the athletes who have suffered a knee injury or ligament rupture in the recent past. Large weights can trigger a relapse of the disease or complications. Refrain from training is better for people who have a diagnosis: a lumbar spine or protrusion. In this case, it is better to stop at a more sparing load. If you have scoliosis, you can do it, but with small scales and using an athletic belt. Also not recommended to use one foot.
The advantages of bench press in the simulator include:
- Ability to focus on the work of different muscle groups.
- Absence of axial load on the spine.
- Intensive burning of calories and increased level of metabolism.
- Stimulation of the pelvic organs.
- Relatively safe exercise.
Beginners can make the following mistakes, which should be avoided:
- Rapid lowering of the platform.
- Separation of the waist from the back of the simulator.
- Reducing the knees.
- Separation of heels from the platform.
Fulfillment of all recommendations on the correct technique will help to avoid all these mistakes and make the training even more effective.