For those who want to pump up the leg muscles, the squats with a barbell on the shoulders will become a real find. During the training, not only the buttocks, thigh biceps and quadriceps are pumped, but also the strength of the back, the press and the shoulders will develop.
What muscles are involved?
The exercise is based on the development of leg muscles, in particular:
- gluteus muscles;
- soleus muscles;
- femoral leads.
In addition to the main group, stabilizers also work:
- extensors of the spine;
- hamstrings ( here the exercises for this muscle group are detailed);
- muscles of calves;
- abdominal muscles: both a straight line and an oblique press;
- other muscles of the body.
There is also a direct relationship between the setting of the body and the work of certain muscles. The dependence is given in the table:
|Statement of the body||Muscle work|
|The legs are widely spaced||Inner surface of thigh|
|A narrow arrangement of legs||External femoral|
|Deep Squat||Active footwork|
|Shallow squat||Working the hips|
The squatting on the shoulders suggests three variations:
The first assumes the deepest squat, the second – to the parallel with the floor, and the third – above the parallel. Accordingly, the load is distributed: from the legs and back through the buttocks to the hips. Therefore, to maximize the effectiveness of training it is recommended to alternate all these variations. French bench press is a good exercise to pump triceps in the gym or at home.
The benefit of squats with a barbell
The benefit of the element is invaluable. Today, it is relevant not only for bodybuilding and powerlifting, but also for people simply engaged in sports. Men can build up the muscles of the back and legs. Squats with a barbell on the shoulders for the girls will make it possible to achieve beautiful and elastic buttocks and attractive hips.
It is in this exercise that an athlete can take the greatest possible weight. Element in any degree works through the whole body.
The list of benefits of the exercise can include:
- Build-up of muscle mass
- Promoting fat burning
- Improving the condition of the joints
- Increased energy and mobility
- Improved coordination of traffic
- Increase flexibility and prevent injuries.
Technique of doing the exercise
Despite the apparent ease, squatting on the shoulders is considered one of the most labor-intensive elements. With the wrong technique, you can not only not achieve the task, but rather injure your legs, back or lumbar region. Therefore, beginners are advised to practice the technique of performing an element without weights, and then gradually add the load. Do not forget about the pre-warm-up workout for the whole body.
The technique of performing squats with a barbell on the shoulders is as follows.
Before starting squats, you need to prepare. To do this, you need a bar stand. The latter should be set according to its growth. The neck should not be placed low or high: it should be comfortable and comfortable.
Step 1. We go under the bar and have it on our trapezes.
Step 2. We bend in the lumbar region and remove the bar from the post.
Step 3. Take a step back and put the feet on the width of the shoulders. The back is tense, the shoulder blades are bent, the elbows are retracted.
Step 4. On inhalation, we begin a slow controlled squat. We make sure that your knees do not go over your socks.
Step 5. As you exhale, we start lifting up.
Do the desired number of repetitions.
During the training you should pay attention to the following points:
- The back should always be bent. Rounding it can cause injury.
- The view must always be directed strictly ahead.
- The pelvis in the squat must be retracted.
- Sit down slowly and rise faster, making a small stop at the lowest point.
- You can not completely straighten the legs at the point of recovery, otherwise the load will shift to the knee joints.
- The main tension in the squat must pass through the heels of the legs, and not through the socks.
- Knees in the squat must be turned outward, and not brought together.
Alternative to classic squats with a barbell on the shoulders
A classic squat with a barbell on the shoulders is not exceptional in its kind. The following types of exercise are known:
- Squats on a bench or chair. The element is useful for working out the technique of performing classical squats. It is also useful for working out a dynamic rise from the bottom point. For training, you need a chair of such a height that in sitting position the hips form a parallel with the floor. The foot should be entirely on the floor.
- Squats with a wide setting of the legs – sumo. In this version of the squats, the internal part of the thigh is perfectly worked out. The element is useful to those who in classic squats knees come together. During the training, legs should be placed wider than the shoulders, and the socks should be deployed 120 degrees. The element allows you to take more weight than with classic squats.
- Squats with a barbell on the chest – frontal squats. Here, the load on the quadriceps increases. The neck is placed on the chest and shoulders and is clasped crosswise. The feet can be arranged a little narrower than with classic squats. When frontal squats need to pay special attention to the slope of the body forward – here it should be minimal, otherwise there is a risk to swing forward. Weight in this element should be less than in classical squats.
- Squats with a bar above their heads. The element adds a load to the upper body. Exercise is considered traumatic, so it is recommended to begin its development with small scales. During the training, the bar is taken with a wide grip and rises above the head. During squats, the hands should not leave the plane perpendicular to the floor.
- Split squats. This option is indispensable for athletes who have problems with the spine. Element is a combination of squat and lunge. Those. Before squatting, one leg should be set forward, making an attack. The toe of the front leg should be turned slightly inwards, and the back – outward. In this position, the housing will be more stable.
- Squats with a narrow setting of the feet. These are the same classic squats, but the legs are not on the width of the shoulders, but narrowly, due to which the load goes to the quadriceps. The peculiarity of the element is that, with such a statement of legs, it will not work at full strength, i.e. It is impossible to sit down at full amplitude in this position.
- Prissed with a barbell on his shoulders in the simulator Smith. The peculiarity of the element is that the bar moves only along a certain trajectory, due to which the practitioner will not make mistakes that he can tolerate at usual squats. Also, the simulator allows you to stick your feet slightly forward and take off the load from the waist.
- Sissy squats. Rarely encountered technique, the purpose of which is to study the lower part of the hips surface. The technique of the exercise is that to hold the balance with one hand you need to take the support, and when carrying out the squat you need to climb on the toes of the legs, the pelvis is to be led forward, and the shoulders and the head – back. Legs bend until the knees almost touch the floor, and the heels – buttocks.
- Squats plie with a dumbbell. In this element, the barbell is replaced by a dumbbell, legs are set wide, socks are deployed to the sides. During the squat, the back should remain perfectly straight.
- Gakk-squats. These squats are performed in a special simulator, which is aimed at the development of buttocks and thighs. The trajectory of the movement is set, you just need to go up and down. The element reduces the load on the spine.
In the course of training with the wrong technique, various kinds of injuries can occur. Therefore, the following common errors should be avoided:
- incorrect fret arrangement;
- wrong grip;
- Departure from the bar far from the counter;
- raised or lowered head;
- incorrect leg position;
- inclination of the body forward or rounded back;
- quick lowering;
- separation of heels from the floor;
- knees for socks.
Squats with a barbell on the shoulders are an excellent exercise for working out all the muscles of the body, especially the legs, buttocks and back. More weight can increase the load and get the maximum effect from the training. But in order to avoid injury, the element requires compliance with all safety measures and proper execution techniques.